how many gods exist in india and how are they called?

• User

Thousands in Hinduism alone

https://www.learnreligions.com/why-hiindus-have-so...

Naturally, a complete list would far exceed the space provided here.

A list of all of the significant deities (deities with populated temples) has been published. It's a big book.

Then, of course, are all of the other religions in India and their deities

which, probably, do not amount to anything close to the number of deities that are part of Hinduism.

Hindus actually have just one God, who has come to Earth in the form of various avatars.  (They think Jesus was just another one of these.)  They call them gods loosely, but, they are all just one God.

Sikhs have one God, as do the Muslims.  I know there are other religions in India, but, I am not familiar with them.

• Dave D

There is only one God and He is worshipped by everyone who seeks Him no matter what name people call Him and no matter what mistakes people make about His nature.  

Hinduism also accepts the belief in ONE God who is Brahma, the Supreme Being.  He consists of three persons: Brahmin the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver (I think), and Shiva the Destroyer (I think)   

These three have manifested themselves throughout time in hundreds of various forms called avatars such as Rama or Krishna.  Some Hindus even accept Christ as an avatar of the one God.  These avatars have particular unique traits and are worshiped as gods (small g) because they represent one of the three persons of the Supreme Being.

Literally thousands. There was a time when I knew the names of all of the primary ones. Now I'm lucky if I recall half a dozen.