Windows 7 won't boot up past logo?

Hi,

I tried booting up this old PC that was given to us. Hoping to make use of it instead of sitting to gather dust.

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to Computers.

I tried booting up the pc but it won't get past the logo and it ends up restarting and launching the Startup Repair, on the startup repair it says about an error that startup repair cannot fix. Asked me to remove any peripheral devices but still no avail. The system recovery was not an option since there was no previous recovery point. I tried booting it aswell on safemode but even that does not work.

Is the OS the problem here? The bios? Any ideas?

• Thomas

All the above and if nothing of it works:  download the free DVD image of KNOPPIX, burn it on DVD, boot the PC from the DVD (it will run a LINUX session 100% from DVD, nothing will be changed in your computer's file systems), check integrity of all files and hard drives (LINUX doesn't give a damn about WINDOWs read or write permissions), save all important files to external hard drives and then try to repair the file system. Or don't. In many cases (even with APPLE computers) after one KNOPPIX live session having run on a blocked computer the original OS will boot correctly after having removed the DVD.

The computer might be stuck in a repair loop, unable to perform the most recent update, but unable to boot without it.

A way to undo that is to press F8 repeatedly while Windows boots, then get into Safe Mode.  From there do Start , and search for System Restore.  Restore the system to the most recent checkpoint.  Then see if it will boot.

The above procedure will fix a few other possible issues, too.

the OS may be corrupted

go into BIOS and set DVD drive as boot option

put the Win 7 disk in the drive

and go to repair option

• keerok

At boot time, press F8 repeatedly and then at the menu that appears, go to Safe Mode.

You may want to try a boot recovery disc to see if there is a way to fix whatever the problem is, but that can be very difficult. To check the basic computer functionality, I suggest downloading a live linux version, such as ubuntu or mint. Then burn it to a cd and boot from it. This will cause Linux to run without modifying the hard drive. If you find that useful, you could then install to hard drive and use the old PC with linux. For basic email and web browsing it's almost identical to Windows. Good luck.

i would try using the Windows 7 Install disk to run a repair or reinstall of the OS, WITHOUT formatting.  Of course, if you can, backup any files to an external source.