is dryer worth fixing?

My dryer stopped spinning. I took it apart and the belt and idler pulley are broke.The model is a Kenmore from 2003. Considering its age something else can go wrong. I feel it is better to buy a newer one. Is this dryer still worth fixing?

• L

Look up the cost to replace the parts.  If the parts cost more than the dryer - then just buy a new dryer.

I would look up the cost of the parts. If the dryer still works well other than the parts that need to be replaced and the cost of the parts is not much, I would fix it. You can always sell it once it is fixed if you decide you want a new one.

• John

The general rule of thumb for appliances is if you can fix them yourself then maybe/likely it will be cost effective. Paying a serviceman to come to your house rarely is. That includes the entire process. I'm VERY handy but I don't know where to buy washing machine parts. And if/while you wait for parts being shipped you are driving to the laundromat.

• Zany

C'mon you diagnosed it, fix it. It's old and ugly but new dryers aren't any more efficient. Where are you gonna save money? I have a Kenmore set from the 1990's.

I would get a new one.   Most major appliances have a life of 10 years so yours really lasted a long time.   Now you can get an EcoStar dryer that will save you money.   You might check to see if you can get a gas dryer,  you may have a hook up you did not even know about.   Gas is far more efficient that electric.  

Last year I replaced a dryer originally purchased in 2003. A few years ago, I replaced the belt for under $50. Sometime last year, if stopped heating. A few minutes 'research' on YouTube and a simple test determined the thermal fuse was blown. That cost under $50 as well. About 2 weeks later, it blew again. The next likely culprit would have cost about $200 for the part, and I wasn't even sure that would fix the problem, so I decided it was time for a new one.

I would buy a new one. Yours is more than 17 years old. A newer one would be more energy efficient. If you can't afford new, try a used appliance store--they usually have very good deals. 

replace it. My first dryer repair was cheap, shortly after that

I had an expensive repair. please get a new one.(mine was also old)

• Droopy

If its just a belt maybe pulley  then that wouldbe worth fixing.   Unless your looking for a excuse to buy a new one.

I would not repair a 17 year old dryer.