jamie
jamie asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Shouldn't those who are former slaves (who are still living today in the U.S.) be given reparations?

• Maxi

Even though the USA was very late in freeing slaves...how many people do you know who is over 155 yrs old?

not by those who never owned slaves. I never had a slave why should I pay anything 

well I was going to give you $50,000 but you did $100,000 worth of damage so I have to say you owe me

• ?

nope ..................................

Not a lot of 160+ people around. 

• ?

There is NO ONE, alive today, who was a slave in the 1860's.............NO REPARATIONS!  Their ancestors can - GET A JOB.

I would contend that they've actually been paid several times over. How much did the Civil War cost? After that, how much did collapse of the plantation economy in the south after the war cost the country? In addition to that, how many trillions did the US spend in welfare in the last 100 years, most of which disproportionately paid out to minorities? Total that up and convert it into today's dollars.

Only if those reparations are paid by their former owners.

Yes,  those who were slaves should be given money.   But not their descendants who were never slaves.

Yes, by those who victimized them (who are still living - in this country, the children of criminals do not pay for the crimes of their parents, and the children of those who owe debts are not legally responsible for those debts).

Yes, anyone who is alive today and was freed by Lincoln's Proclamation freeing slaves (September 22, 1862) should be given reparations.

If born the year the Proclamation was issued, that person would be 158 years old.  The money would probably go to the nursing home where the persons resides.

I think you should do the research, find out the names and locations of those former slaves, and then contact your Congressman/Congresswoman about reparations.

Good work - not a history major?