athena asked in SportsTennis · 2 months ago

I am the worst player on my team?

So I am a 15 year old girl who started playing tennis about a year ago but it’s been on and off because we recently moved and the courts have been close due to corona so my skill level has been wavering. At my old school district the standard for making the team was moderately low and I could’ve made it but we moved to a new area where kids have been training for years and the competitiveness is so much higher. That doesn’t bother me if I was the same level as them, I just started playing again last week because we only just got the key to our neighborhood court. I went to a camp this morning and I was divided into the beginners group with 10-13 year olds. Should I be ashamed? Do you think they care if I am bad? I admit I got a late start to begin a new sport it’s only cause I have been focused on my other hobby, piano.

• Chuck

No, being a beginner is nothing to be ashamed of.  Everyone has to be a beginner at some point.  If anyone gives you verbal abuse, tell your parents or the coach.

Nobody cares about your skill level, except YOU and hopefully, the coach.  If the coach has no time to help you or the other beginners, I would find a good teaching pro and train at his or her club.   Normally a tennis club will be a much better place for you to work on your game and have fun.  Ask about junior memberships.

If you enjoy playing you should just focus on getting better. The only way that won't happen is if you give up. So don't worry about what others think. Their opinions won't matter unless you decide that they do and that will make you give up on yourself. Don't do it!