why do people think its ok to say gypsy?

I'm Romani so I can say the word. But it was printed on our slave posters and tattooed on us during the holocaust and our 500 years of slavery. It is still used against us today. Real Romani people hate the word, so why is it used?

What ?? Okay, I wont use that word any more.. I feel like I've been gypped?

• F

You’re right. It’s P1key.

• Ludwig

It is.  It has been part of the language for centuries.

Why do people who start a question with "Why do people…" not want an answer just an opportunity to share their opinion?

Some non Americans don't like America hoarding the name. Many people say Russia when they mean the USSR. Many people say Holland when they mean the Netherlands. Gypsy/Romany all the same to me. 

• Phil

I think I have to because if I say Roma/ Romani , Sinti or Traveller most people likely have no idea who I am referring to.

• Marli

How can a nomadic people be "slaves" for 500 years?  

And why do they persist in begging and stealing? My mother was pickpocketed by a gypsy.  I have been harrassed by gypsies begging for money and attempting to steal my purse.

And why do they persist in calling themselves gypsies if they hate the word?

And why call yourself Romani when there is no connection with Rome?

• Jesere

What's wrong with the word? The 2nd definition is descriptive of me 

gyp·synoun1.a member of a traveling people traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling. Gypsies speak a language (Romany) that is related to Hindi and are believed to have originated in South Asia.2.a nomadic or free-spirited person.

• Bret

Only Romani can say an English word that means "a nomadic or free-spirited person?"  Besides, what are we supposed to do with one of the greatest Fleetwood Mac songs?

We say whatever we like. Gypsi romanov, not a very good dish. If I offended you, good. I am also a gypsy, I think that is where the word gyp comes from.