why do people think its ok to say gypsy?

I'm Romani so I can say the word. But it was printed on our slave posters and tattooed on us during the holocaust and our 500 years of slavery. It is still used against us today. Real Romani people hate the word, so why is it used?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

What ?? Okay, I wont use that word any more.. I feel like I've been gypped?

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You’re right. It’s P1key.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is.  It has been part of the language for centuries.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Why do people who start a question with "Why do people…" not want an answer just an opportunity to share their opinion?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Some non Americans don't like America hoarding the name. Many people say Russia when they mean the USSR. Many people say Holland when they mean the Netherlands. Gypsy/Romany all the same to me. 

• Phil
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I think I have to because if I say Roma/ Romani , Sinti or Traveller most people likely have no idea who I am referring to.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

How can a nomadic people be "slaves" for 500 years?  

And why do they persist in begging and stealing? My mother was pickpocketed by a gypsy.  I have been harrassed by gypsies begging for money and attempting to steal my purse.

And why do they persist in calling themselves gypsies if they hate the word?

And why call yourself Romani when there is no connection with Rome?

• Jesere
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What's wrong with the word? The 2nd definition is descriptive of me 

gyp·synoun1.a member of a traveling people traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling. Gypsies speak a language (Romany) that is related to Hindi and are believed to have originated in South Asia.2.a nomadic or free-spirited person.

• Bret
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Only Romani can say an English word that means "a nomadic or free-spirited person?"  Besides, what are we supposed to do with one of the greatest Fleetwood Mac songs?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

We say whatever we like. Gypsi romanov, not a very good dish. If I offended you, good. I am also a gypsy, I think that is where the word gyp comes from.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.