Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicJokes & Riddles · 1 month ago

Why is coffee called "a cup of joe?" Why not a cup of Steve, or a cup of Frank?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Joe asked for coffee to be named after him. That's why

• JJ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is also called a cup of Starbucks, Mud. Java. 

• 1 month ago

I started coming here for jokes but unknowingly, ended up getting smarter thinks to people like Weasel. Win, win situation because before today, I had no idea where a 'cup of Joe' came from.

• 1 month ago

You may thank the Good ol'  US Navy for that . 

Josephus Daniels was secretary to the Navy under president Woodrow Wilson. Looking to impose stricter moral standards on naval life, he made changes like increasing the number of chaplains, cracking down on prostitution at naval bases and banning alcohol. In his biography of Daniels, author Lee Craig explains how this last decision led to the creation of the slang term.

“As a substitute, stewards increased their purchases of coffee, among other beverages,” writes Lee Craig in the new book, “and Daniels’s name became linked to the daily drink of millions around the world. A cup of coffee became disparagingly known as ‘a cup of Joseph Daniels,’ and as legend has it, this was soon shortened to a ‘cup of Joe.'”

Edit : It's not COPYING  when there's only one correct answer,  cheesewipe- 

Edit : THANK YOU , Jackolantern!   Better be careful though,  any praise of me is usually instantly reported by cheesewipes. 

Source(s): US Navy Veteran.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • MJT209
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

G.I. don't know

• 1 month ago

Obviously because, at some point in time, there was a real person named Joe and he was coffee flavoured.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I'm not on a first name basis with mine.

I just drink it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If the rule was "you are what you eat", and you wanted to be Frank, all you would have to do is eat a couple of hot dogs.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Back in 1914, the Secretary of the Navy, Joe Daniels, banned all alcohol from all ships. The strongest thing to drink was coffee, so they called it a cup of Joe.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.