Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

What happened to tourists travelling thru the north and south in civil war times? Were they constantly detained and forced to show papers?

Update:

blubellchk  obviously has little imagination

17 Answers

Relevance
  • blu
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Oddly enough, as the first battle of Bull Run was becoming imminent (Sumter aside, this battle is considered the opening salvo of war), many citizens gravitated to the area (it's 27 miles f/ DC) in an almost festive/picnic-like atmosphere. That only happened once. Any civilian travelers during war are subject to being detained w/ search and interrogation.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In those days the concept of 'tourist' scarcely existed. And indeed nobody wants to travel through a war zone for pleasure.

• 1 month ago

People did not travel as much back then, and those who did were probably not traveling to a war zone. 

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yeh, it was big tourist hot spot right in the middle of a war. Bit like Syria or Afghanistan today, their tourist boards are worked off their feet!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You know, tourism wasn't a big industry back then. 

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I assume that anyone attempting to enter a military zone or cross battle lines had to produce a pass and/or give a convincing reason for wanting to visit the opposite side each time he is challenged.

Something like "My grandfather in New York died and I must execute his will and settle his affairs. Here is his lawyer's letter to me." or "I am American correspondent for the "Allegemeine Zeitung" Here are my papers and letters of introduction." Or "I am selling pies. Wouldn't your soldiers like to buy them?"

• 1 month ago

if the traveller allowed it. spys are civilian so armies usually have descriptions of known spys. They are also on the lookout for other civiilian combants like weapons shippers and sellers.

other espinoge can use civilian combatants also.

someone mention skin color? why certainly they usually carry lots of money. they were selling oil and drugs back then too.get real. you defend your drug dealers.

• 1 month ago

They were few, and YES. 

• Phil
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes, especially black tourists.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You don't get tourists in a war zone.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.