Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Alcoholism is all over my Mom's family and now I want to try alcohol. I am 21, is it okay to despite my genes?

It's disturbing that you'd even have to ask this question.   Why tempt fate?   You know you have a predisposition to alcoholism so why "try alcohol?" 

You surely have no complex thinking process do you? 

You want to "try" alcohol.  Why? 

You think that you're stronger than the alcohol?  I can promise that you are NOT! 

Stop trolling here.

• hart

don't do,,,,,,,,

NO 

..............................

I lost my Mom, step-father, Older Brother-in-Law, Younger Brother-in-Law, and Sister-in-Law to it.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  Not one bit.  Go ahead, get into it.  You will be glad you did.  You can bet on it.  Your genes are the least of it.  So much pleasure and happiness comes from its use.  Even our livers praise and bless us with their loving warmth as they flush themselves down the drain. And not to mention the warm feeling of arteriosclerosis of the arteries in the brain.  That slow hiss as the alcohol escapes by seeping through a brain full of stiff hard veins and rotting brain matter.  Go ahead, give it a try.  You won't regret it.  Ever. 

No, alcoholism is not okay. It negatively affects others

Given the circumstances (similar to mine) I wouldn't risk it. 

Also if you're really 21, why are you hiding anonymously ?

• Will

Of course. Just because they are alcoholics doesn’t mean you will become one. They have problems and they turn alcohol as a way to cope. Alcohol is not addictive like drugs are. You might enjoy the buzzed feeling, but you are not going to get addicted to it since it is not enjoyable outside of a rowdy party. I don’t understand why anyone would actually enjoy being totally drunk and how they can say that is what their addiction comes from.

If you haven't even tried alcohol yet or much, you don’t even know if you like it. If you don’t like it because it tastes awful or it makes you gag, it’s highly unlikely you would ever turn to alcohol unless your way to cope with the issue was to endure agony. 

• Lili

Of course you can try it.  The fact that a number of people in your mother's family are alcoholics doesn't automatically mean that YOU will become an alcoholic. We don't inherit all the genes our parents have.  If there's a gene for alcoholism (uncertain, though the problem does seem to run in families), you might have escaped inheriting it.

Just be cautious. Should you find you like drinking, limit your consumption and keep an eye on how MUCH you drink. No more than 2 drinks a day/per event should be your rule.