jean
jean asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 month ago

is riding motorcycles worth the accidents etc?

not if you are killed in the accident

One would have to ask the same about driving a car. We all know many lives are lost to car accidents, yet most of us believe the risk is warranted. We even have many pedestrians and bicyclist struct by cars. For good drivers, the risk is very low with the biggest threat being other drivers where the secret rule for good drivers is to expect every driver to do stupid things and anticipate for those stupid things.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 20 years and never had an accident and neither has my husband in 27 years of riding. 

Those riders who regularly have close calls and accidents are either riding stupidly or need further training. Doing wheelies, speeding, believing you have the right of way and that cars will stop at junctions is a recipe for disaster. 

The online training videos with MCrider and Dan Dan the Fireman will help motorcyclists eliminate many of the errors that lead to accidents, as will motorcycle crashes on YouTube. 

Learn from other people's mistakes and keep safe and you'll have great fun.

Those that TD'd me are braindead.

I can't say, as I have never had a motorcycle accident in my 30+ years of riding.

I know people who have been seriously injured - and even killed doing the most benign things.

There is risk involved with riding a motorcycle, so it's all about mitigating that risk - and it's definitely worth it for the feeling that only riding a motorcycle can give you.

When I first started riding on-road (30+ years ago, I had ridden for years before that off-road), my father taught me to pretend like I was invisible to other traffic, that way I wouldn't be surprised if someone cut me off, pulled out in front of me, eased into my lane, etc.

After three decades of riding, two accidents (one minor, one decently major) and a few really minor spills - and countless close calls, now I pretend like people are actively *trying* to hit me (and it's not far from the truth). 

I've had people come across three lanes and stand up on their brakes as hard as they could right in front of me (for no perceptible reason), sit at a green light in a right-hand turn lane and wait until their light turned red, my light turned green, and I was all the way across the intersection and in front of them before they decided to go (I predicted it though, and was in the empty oncoming lane), come across the center line, and almost drive right into my backside.

It's still worth it - because it's the closest to flying you will ever come without leaving the ground.

Riding a motorcycle is like driving anything: accidents can be caused by user-error OR by other motorists. Is it worth it?  If it is to YOU, then yes. Motorcycles are not necessarily 'accident magnets'. The rider is responsible for safe driving and for being able to handle other motorists. This is up to you. 

My first  an ambassador 197 fell off a few times  did some racing was Knocked off a few times but since 1953 have not been in any accident with a Motorcycle

and my last car accident was 1962 in Germany caused bu Inexperience with a High-speed car did an advanced Driving course with the German police

as a result, My Car is Not Insured But i do have third party coverage

In the Motorcycling world, we do Know many people should never get a leg over they are Dangerous to themselves and other road users

• adam

Yes it is. I wont quit until they bag me and tag me. Survivor of two bad wrecks now. 4 wrecks total. 

That depends on your "accident."

18 days in the hospital put a big dent in my wallet, and when I was able to return to work, I didn't have a job to return to.

Your mileage may vary.  Literally.

Riding a Motorcycle Is Dangerous

But riders do have a heightened risk of sustaining serious injury when they are involved in accidents. ... According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the number of deaths for motorcyclists is 29 times greater than for car drivers per mile traveled.