What does it mean if someone knows your IP address?

Hacking someone through their public IP address is very difficult. That is because internet service providers and routers have firewalls.

It means they might, or might not, know your approximate location.

• MIKE

nothing. Having someone's IP address is not enough to cause any drama

If someone is threatening you just because they have your IP address, tell them to do their worst. All they could do is see an area of where you might be. 

Dont worry, if someone has more than just your IP address for example, you still have a firewall to block intruders from coming into your private network.

It really means nothing if someone knows your IP address. So they know your IP address, big deal the worst thing that can truly happen is that they can get a geographical location of where you are and if you live in a rural area then it is possible they can find where exactly you are. The chances of a hacker trying to hack into your Computer would pretty much be a waste of their time because you really don’t have anything that would have a significant value unlike if they try to hack into a military computer system or a government computer system where they could cause some damage. I think you have a better chance of getting hacked by downloading spyware then someone hacking into your computer using your IP. Some people get very wigged out over people knowing their IP but some websites will say we know your IP so people are more likely to behave then to cause problems. Another thing could be if you upload something that is copyrighted the person making the claim could use your IP to find out who your Internet service provider is an issue them a takedown notice which your Internet service provider will most likely just take the content down and send you a copy of the DMCA.Another thing could be if you upload something that is copyrighted the person making the claim could use your IP to find out who your Internet service provider is in issue them a takedown notice which your Internet service provider will most likely just take the content down and send you a copy of the DMCA.

• Mark J

For most people an IP address is a series of numbers that uniquely identify your final connection to the internet. it is an address in the same way that your building has an address for post. Except that the IP address is allocated by your internet service provider and may change over time.

If you have a home network then each computer device (including your phone) you have at home that is connected on a network will also have an IP Address, same idea that there needs to be an address that information cant be sent to or received from.

you can make some deductions from what an IP address means, but unless you are working for the government or some telcos the link between the IP address and your physical home address isn't immediately obvious.

There are services (such as https://www.iplocation.net/) that can  identify a nearby location but thats probably going to be a town or suburb not the street and building no/name.

Someone may indeed know your ip address, they may have got it from any of many routes, but  its not very useful information. Youyr ISP knows your IP address and your physical address so if you come to the attention of government its possible to match internet activity with a physical address. Private companies can demand the physical address for an IP address from an ISP if they have a warrant or legal justification. VPN's can go a long way to protect against that

There are two types of IP Addresses.

Static and Dynamic.

IP addresses are allocated in blocks anyway, you never get a 'personal' one as such, and are almost always mapped and resolved to ISP's (Internet Service Providers) who in turn may be operating from a server thats not on site but some place else who knows their set up.

The only person who knows your IP address is your ISP and if required, the Law of the land.  MI6 probably knows all this stuff anyway.  The moment you turn your phone on they know where you are.

• nothing much

i use a VPN and a proxy server lol

good luck finding me sometime this century

Also,  for your information,  I don't use any Windows O/S , i run Debian from a Flash Drive so  there is no other storage tbh.  everything i do is cloud based anyway, the flash drive contents that get saved are encrypted anyway and if it plugs into a pc thats not mine it will render the data obsolete.

i also spoof my mac address just to be extra safe.

so it means nothing to know anything about my set up.

In most cases it means not a lot, they know the address to access your PC if you have a vulnerability but outside that not a lot.

If I look up my ip address it will either show I am in glasgow, edinburgh or sometime manchester based on which node my isp has connected me through.

I have a variable ip so I can reset it to another just by turning my router off an on. Most isp will do this but you may have a static ip.

Not much.  That is easy information for anyone to get.  And it is not actually the IP of your computer.  It is the IP of whatever device your ISP uses to provide your Internet access.  So they do not actually have "your" IP address.  I know that on TV and in movies if they get your IP address they can hack into your computer, instantly locate where you are, etc.  But that is fiction.  In over 20 years working in IT I have never seen anyone hacked using only their IP address.

Generally, it means they know where you are located. However, IP addresses are not permanently assigned, although for highspeed connections they may stay the same for months.