Rose asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 months ago

Do robins sometimes nest in the summer?

There's a lot of wild robins around where I live, and there's a little tree next to my house right next to the window and at least 1 robin nests there each year, I've only seen them in Spring but I don't know if they nest there in summer too. Do they?

• yodi

Hi,

Generally there is the possibility of raising 4 broods in a season, dependent on location and breeding season weather. The first clutch can froze out. An early warmish Spring is needed to hit the sucessful 4 brood threshold. At my latitude nesting season runs Mid April to Mid August. Last clutches often consist of only two  or 3 eggs. First clutch is most often 4. Have to have mud to makes their nests.

Majority of their nesting is done during the spring. But they do occasionally nest during the summer months as well.

• Darby

The typical nesting season for the American Robin is from April to July.

They can have 1 to 3 broods per season, with two clutches occurring most often.