Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Being the child of a cop is hard on me right now. Need advice please ?

Hello, I’m 17 years old and my dad has been an officer for 20 plus years. He’s never been the slightest bit racist and has always been my role model, and a genuinely awesome person. However, recently seeing the backlash police have been getting depresses me greatly. Seeing “all cops are bastards” makes me cry. I understand it’s not aimed at individual cops, however, it’s extremely hard when people are bashing the one you love. A lot of people hate cops and I’m terrified for people to find out my dad is one, in fear we will be judged. It’s so incredibly hard when people tell me cops deserve to die, and that they are all bad. It’s wearing me down and I don’t know if I can handle it anymore. I love my father more than life itself. It’s hard going online and just basically seeing it everywhere. Am I overreacting for feeling this way? I don’t know who to open up to about this, I’m afraid and embarrassed to. Please help me somebody. Thank you. 

I'm sure this is tough. But virtually every poll conducted recently shows that a vast majority of people still support the police. So don't let what passes for news convince you otherwise. It's probably never been harder to be a cop than now. So just support your dad and try to tune out all the ugliness. You may have some idiot friends who'd see you as different because of your dad's job. But if they bring it up just remind them that they all have parents too and ask them if they're nothing more than their parents' jobs. Most 17 year-olds are so self absorbed that they don't identify at all with their parents, let alone their parents' careers. 

Why are you going online?  Stay off the internet.  Eventually, you won't be able to avoid this type of criticism.  You need to toughen up.

Because they are just haters of cops.