Anonymous

How do I fix my sleep schedule?

I want to get on a sleep schedule where I go to bed at 11:40 pm and wake up at 9:30 am. Currently I got to bed around 3:00 am and wake up at 1:00 pm

I tried sleeping at 11:45 tonight and woke up 2 hours later. The other night I tried sleeping at 1 am and woke up around 3 am

How do I get onto a 11:40pm-9:30am schedule??? This is so frustrating! School starts next week and I want to have a healthy sleep schedule by then 

Do not adjust the time you go to bed.  Adjust the time you get up.

Set an alarm to wake you up two hours earlier - then get up and stay up.  (so that would be 11 am instead of 1 pm)  You should be tired enough to go to bed earlier and fall asleep that night.  So - go to bed two hours earlier that night.  

Then do it again - set your alarm to get you up at 9:30.

In about two to four days, you should be able to shift your pattern if you shift the time you get up instead of trying to shift based on when you go to bed.

It is easier to shift the time you get up instead of the time you fall asleep.  When you try to sleep but your body isn't ready to need sleep, you just wake up repeatedly.  But, you can force yourself to get up earlier and then stay up and it makes it a little easier to go to bed a little earlier that next night.