How do I seal up this mousehole?

I have a mousehole in the corner of my bedroom. I don't want to kill the mice or go through the trouble of getting rid of them as it's an old house and that would likely be impossible. I just want this hole sealed up so they stop eating my food and knocking over my stuff while I'm sleeping. Also whatever I use can't be expensive or hard to get cause the pandemic makes shopping hard. Any advice? Also--the hole is under two layers of carpet, which I pulled back for the photo. I don't have anything heavy I can put on top of the carpet that will fit in that space, it's only about a foot and a quarter between the foot of my bed and the wall and the heater takes up most of it (tried putting the heater on top last night and it didn't work, plus that wouldn't be safe if it was on).

Simple answer ... howitzer.

kill the mouse first then seal the hole with expanding foam , then shape the sealed hole .

• hart

broken glass and epoxy

Go to the hardware store and buy enough steel wool to stuff tightly in the hole. Plaster or tape over it for aesthetics. Alternately, cut open a can to make a piece of sheet metal you can nail over the hole. If you don't have tin snips, you can use regular scissors on an aluminum soda can. That will keep mice from using *that* hole. The problem is, they are persistent, and can fit through cracks as small as 1/4 inch. There are probably multiple ways to enter your room, including under the door.

The house is probably home to dozens or even hundreds of these critters.  It may be impractical to rid the whole house of them, but you can certainly make your room less attractive. Keep it clean, don't store food in there.  If you eat in your room, clean up *all* the crumbs and throw away any food wrappers someplace else. I've not found it to be particularly effective, but many people swear that mice hate by mint oil. You might try putting some of that on your carpet.  At least your room will smell nice even if it doesn't keep the mice away.

Alternately, get a cat.

mouse is perfectly capable of chewing through wood ... that's how the hole was made in the first place.  if you can form a light weight metal sheet to fit into the corner and extend a good six inches in every direction, then screw it into the wall, that will probably end this hole.  BUT, the smell of food is what drives the mouse to chew through the wood in the first place.  You also need to eliminate the smell of food .. a very difficult task in that virtually every food item will have to be kept in a sealed container of some sort.  -- or get an active and hungry cat.  -- Grampa

What you could do is install a hamster-wheel in front of the hole and hook it up to a battery. That way you'd be able to use those pesky little critters to generate some free electricity while they're going in and out.

To stop them eating your food, simply eat it yourself before going to bed, and to stop them knocking over your stuff knock it over yourself - that'll show them. Hope this helped.

The will chew a new hole and get in anyway. Set traps baited with peanut butter and kill as many of the little bastards as you can. They are filthy, carry diseases and can destroy your kitchen. I had to throw out a perfectly good range as they had made it their home, which of course they **** and pissed in like crazy. The insulation on the inside was soaked with it all and we found out when we went to bake something.....what a stench.

• A

I would venture a guess that there are many more holes that you do not know about, for now get a piece of plywood and cover it up.  You need to see if you can get rid of the mice, that hole looks big enough to be rats.   Make sure they cannot get to your food,  keep everything in glass or metal containers.  I suggest getting several live traps, take them at least a mile away before releasing, them then keep resetting the traps until you aren't getting any more.   Mice don't like mint so you can try putting peppermint oil where you see holes.

• Petter

If you seal it up, the mouse will probably just make a new one...