Why haven't the ghosts of Brian Jones and Syd Barrett joined forces to exact their revenge for getting kicked out of bands THEY formed?

In June 1975, while Pink Floyd were recording the album Wish You Were Here at London's Abbey Road studios, a portly, shaven-haired man arrived and stood quietly at the back, watching.

He appeared as the Floyd performed the song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". It contains the words: "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun. Shine on you crazy diamond. Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky."

At first, they didn't recognise the man, whose head and eyebrows were shaved and who was apparently trying to clean his teeth by holding the brush still and jumping up and down.

But this was the "crazy diamond" himself: Syd Barrett, the subject of the song.

When Roger Waters saw his old friend, he broke down.

Rick Wright, the keyboards player later told an interviewer: "I saw this guy sitting at the back of the studio... and I didn't recognise him. I said, 'Who's that guy behind you?' 'That's Syd'. And I just cracked up, I couldn't believe it... he had shaven all his hair off... I mean, his , everything... he was jumping up and down brushing his teeth, it was awful...

"Roger [Waters] was in tears, I think I was; we were both in tears. It was very shocking... seven years of no contact and then to walk in while we're actually doing that particular track. I don't know - coincidence, karma, fate, who knows? But it was very, very, very powerful."

• Zapata

Syd was simply mad a box of frogs, while Brian was so out of his brain most of the time he could barely string three words together coherently. 

I don't know about "joining forces"....they'd have had great trouble just shaking each others' hand.

• Neither bands should be forgiven for how boring and meaningless they became but Brian Jones only had himself to blame but I think Syd Barrett did have mental health issues and it makes me sad to think what Pink Floyd would have been like if he had stayed with them as 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' is still my favourite album by them.

They had no one but themselves and drugs to blame for their departure. Syd Barrett didn't have any mental issues until after he started taking LSD.

@ Karen M I fail to see how that is germane.

• Yuria

Their souls went to heaven.