Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 month ago

Homemade sidecar ?

Is it legal to attach a homemade sidecar to a motorcycle?

I have a bike I use just for trails and dirt roads, was hoping i could take my dog out on rides by sitting her on a sidecar

In California, it is legal to have a sidecar, but i welded a seat with bars and wheels, hoping to have my dog ride with me off-road

trail bike with homemade sidecar in California?  SO, which gov agency would have Jurisdiction? State DOT/DMV or a DNR group?  Forestry/fish & game that checks ATVs for brakes and spark arrestor mufflers like in Wisconsin likely. That is the agency you have check with, not bunch of Yahoo's advising road use sidcars for trails - unless you're going to using a road licensed dual sport cycle on 'dirt road' that is 'public way' with other licensed plated vehicles. 3 wheels ATV have some minor resrictions, home made sidecars for small cycles known and used in Asia, Africa for off road and dirt road use, some plans from India are available, some Utubes.  You asked a "legal' question, subgroup 'motorcycle' so go to state "legal" agency that handles trail vehicle requirements.

A dirt bike sidecar? I would buy a Ural with a Ural sidecar. They're pretty rugged.

• fuzzy

Depends on where you are & where you'll be using it. On private property probably the law wont know or care but even dirt roads are public land & local regulations will come into play.

You only need one wheel on a sidecar, the motorcycle provides the other two.

I suspect CA is a very strict state on width, length, the need for  a brake on a new. manufactured one (your  stopping distance might increase to an unsafe length without it) v. restoring an antique

I know CA considers a MC w/sidecar as a Car. Schwarzenegger got into an accident with his, turned out he had no MC license. When a stink was raised, it turns out CA has this exception. (He was giving his kid a ride in Sacto,  a lady backed out and knocked  Arnie off his seat  Musta been a one way street?) 

To  be safe and Not risk your dog's  life on your  non-professional welds,  just get an old hack.. I found one for $900, a Ural with brake. Needs some work, ID think I'm going to use it. Another concern is; some bikes can't handle the weight without clutch upgrades and increased stopping distance. Even my 1440 cc FX requires a clutch/primary bearing upgrade or it won't last long. Another $1,000. My R brake is disk; adapting the pedal to the cable for the drum will require more tinkering. 

Also. many dogs Never adapt to a hack; you may  need  a harness. I decided just to fix my car. He rides safely and happily in it.   I will send U my Email if interested in my old Ural. I'm in SE AZ but U might find time on a visit. 

• Barry

Yes. But it would be sensible to buy a cheap or used sidecar for safety's sake.

• Anton

Anything is "legal" that is not against a law.

There is no law against connecting a sidecar to a motorcycle.

Is it legal where? In Britain it's legal as long as it passes a ministry of transport test. Someone even made a car out of a sofa, registered it, insured it, etc and that was allowed on the road. I think if it passes safety tests for wherever you are, if there are any, then the answer is yes. Anyone is allowed to start or buy a vehicle business so anyone is allowed to make a vehicle or in this case an extension. As long as you jump through any hoops the law requires on safety.