Stuck metal ladder?

I bought an old 16 foot ladder for $50. I cannot get it to extend to 16 feet. I have literally bent the handle trying to get the thing to release so I can open all the way. No luck. Help!! Please!

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need mechanical logic to figure out the mechanism.  Emotional control won't help. 

You need to learn its secret, which may be that the legs move a certain way without the use of the lever.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Saturate the hinges with WD40. It's usually lack of lubrication that causes this problem. It may take a few hours to free it off but I will be surprised if it doesn't work.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

spray some WD40 in there and work the hinge back and forth a bit to loosen it up

• 1 month ago

you overpaid for something that didn't work right.  now that you've bent it, you've zero change of getting your money back.  ask local handyman if he can fix it fairly cheaply

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I'm afraid that you have learnt a lesson that we all have to do. When you are looking at second-hand goods, try before you buy ! Ask yourself why it is being sold ! I assume that it is too late to ask for your money back ?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Rust has probably built up over time.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.