Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesOther - Taxes · 2 months ago

EU car import into Germany?

Hi

I'm looking to buy a car in Netherlands and import it into Germany. It's a used car. What are the import tarrifs I have to pay? I'll be paying VAT in Netherlands.

• danxp2

If you are bringing a new car/vehicle into Germany you'll probably to pay the 19% German VAT within days of buying the car. (If you paid VAT in the country of purchase already, you should be able to get a reimbursement once you have registered the car in Germany.) A vehicle is considered "new" if it is less than 6 months old or has been driven less than 6,000 kilometers.

Used vehicles can be also be brought into Germany free of any customs duty. However, proof of having paid the VAT in the country of origin is required. Other things you might need include:

proof of ownership

original registration papers

proof of insurance

Emissions test certificate if the car is over 3 years old

certification from the German Federal Motor Vehicle Registry indicating the vehicle has not been registered in Germany before