Help is a broken light switch dangerous?

So I turned the light on and it started flickering badly. I turned it on and off a few times and know it doesn't work at all. I did replace the light bulb but it doesn't work. Im thinking it's the switch broken it also feels different as if it isn't attached to anything. Im a little worried can it be dangerous? I probably can't get it fixed until Monday. If I leave it that way will it hurt anthing like start a fire im worried?

I BET the fixture is the problem, not the switch. A bad switch doesn't cause flickering.

Nah.  Take the bulb out and then there is NO CONNECTION AS THE SWITCH IS 2 WIRES AND THE BULB NEEDS 2 WIRES TO COMPLETE THE CIRCUIT but you removed the bulb so nothing happens.

• Ann

Yes, t can be very dangerous.  The bad switch can cause a house fire.  Turn off the breaker that controls that switch, and get an electrician to repair it for you.  We almost had that happen at our house.  A switch in our kitchen kept smelling like it was "hot" and had burning wires.  I called an electrician, and he told me to immediately cut off the power to the switch.  When he came out (the next day), he opened up the switch and it was black inside when wires had burned. He said it would have caught fire inside the wall and it would have caused a serious fire.  Our house was built in the '70's and it had aluminum wiring.   There had been many house fires over the years caused by that.  We had to get all of our wiring "pigtailed" with copper to keep all of the switches from being set on fire.  

It CAN be dangerous--you need to flip the breaker to that switch so no electric runs through it. Then deal with it as soon as possible with a professional electrician. 

I would recommend replacing it immediately. An arcing switch can cause a fire. 

leave it.  your handyman will take care of this Monday

Listen to it. If you can hear sputtering., crackling, hissing or other unusual noise it can be dangerous. If not, it'll be fine until Monday if you leave it alone.

• keerok

It can indeed start a fire.

It's probably just fine until Monday. But if you want to be more cautious then unscrew the light bulb.

It will be good till Monday.  Do not mess with it again until fixed.