Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Why does being fat make you less attractive then when you are skinny ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It doesn't always.  Obesity used to be a sign of wealth.

• 1 month ago

Thankfully our weight, skin, color, ethnicity, or race does not matter to God. Acts 10:35 says that "in every nation the man who does what is right is acceptable to him". For more information, please visit jw.org.

• Piero
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Fat is fatal. Obesity is a fatal disease. No one wants to be around sick people. Fat and syphilis are about the same. Both  are unsightly, and fatal if untreated. We know how to prevent and cure both. People that suffer from either of them, without making an effort to regain their health are not desirable.

• 1 month ago

Falls under the "whatever floats your boat" rule.

Society makes social norms of attractiveness. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Depends.  Look at some Rubens paintings.

• Wundt
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

This is a cultural preference.  There are several cultures where 'fat' is considered more attractive and 'skinny' is considered ugly.  For example in the Victorian era chubby was considered much more attractive among women (Kira Nightly playing a Jane Austin character was unrealistic casting). 

• 1 month ago

I think our perceptions with that are hugely affected by social norms. In fact, in some societies, like Mauritania, being overweight has been seen as an attractive quality, and a sign of wealth! (Probably because poor people were skinny due to not being able to afford much food.) So.. they would feed girls, in order to deliberately fatten them up. And many / most guys..? Were into that! Whereas in our society, skinniness has become the ideal. Because food is everywhere, and it is easy to overeat crappy junk to the point of getting fat, but harder to eat healthy and stay in shape. So.. our perceptions and attractions are DEFINITELY influenced by society. Although I don't think that's ALL of it. Some people in our society still have a preference for hugely fat people, regardless of social norms, for instance. But then maybe that's at least in part a DEFIANCE of those social norms. But.. I think some preferences can be inborn, too. Much like sexual orientation can be.

• marty
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Attractiveness is perceived differently by people, I have a couple friends who think fat women are sexier than thin ones. 

• 1 month ago

Our animal self wants to mate with a healthy person .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.