Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

Are teachers allowed to kick students from Zoom meeting class for not turning on their camera or mic? ?

So a teacher threatened to kick me off of Zoom class and mark me absent for not showing my camera or turn my mic on. I heard that the California Legislative passed the ab-77 bill which requires a minimum of 3 hours of live instruction per day for students. In California. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

You did not participate in the class in the now-normal way, and therefore you were effectively absent.

• 1 month ago

Some teachers are allowed to kick students from Zoom meeting class for not turning on their camera or microphone. Tell the teacher why your refusing to turn on your camera or microphone and the teacher might be able to make an exception for you as long as your participating in the class. The teacher probably wants to make sure it's you and that you didn't just turn on zoom and walk away.

• 1 month ago

But you WERE effectively absent.

• 1 month ago

That's been widely debated among teachers. Your school may have a policy about it, but it may be up to the teachers. On the one hand, requiring kids to have the camera on can be an invasion of privacy. On the other hand, the teacher has no way of knowing whether you're really there and paying attention if you don't have your camera on. Smart teachers are asking questions that students have to respond to in chat on a regular basis to check for comprehension. You could suggest that. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The law requires that the school offer it, but that doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want.

First, check any information from your District/School regarding this issue. If there is clear guidance from the district that you are not required to turn on cam and/or mic then show that to your teacher.

If you don't find this info, you will probably not get anywhere with your teacher

Have you parent(s) talk to the teacher

If that doesn't work, you or your parents talk to the principal

If that doesn't work, you or your parents talk to the superintendent

The thing about laws like these is there are never specifics until they get challenged in court. From the teacher's point of view, just like if you didn't follow their rules in the classroom they can kick you out. If you are not following their rules for virtual classroom, they can kick you out. If it happens once and they let you back in and you follow the rules there would be no issues. If you feel that you do not want to turn on your cam & mic then you might have to go to higher levels (principal, Superintendent). Each school district is actually interpreting the law somewhat differently as there has been no clarification from the state. So teachers have little direction on what they are and aren't allowed to required, so teachers are going to establish their own rules until they are told that these are no legally allowed. I will tell you that our district (in CA) has interpreted the legislation to mean the you can not required camera use but you can require audio (whether through Zoom, telephone, etc)

• Squid
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That bill is all about money and school budgets.  It has nothing to do with Zoom class.

Just like on campus classrooms, you can be removed from a Zoom class if you do not follow the rules.  The school provided you with the opportunity for an education.  It's up to you if you what you make of the opportunity you've been provided.

• 1 month ago

I suppose they are allowed to do that because they don’t have evidence that it is actually you attending the zoom sessions. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.