Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 5 months ago

Is it normal for teachers to call there students baby or similar words like that?

I’m in 11th grade now and every since I got in high school I see men teachers say it to female students and I also see woman teachers saying it to male students I just wanna know is it normal.

• donnie

No.                            

It is not normal for teachers to call students baby or similar words like that. Teachers should be calling students by their given name or nickname.

No this will be sound so weird. Try to call students by their original names. If outside from the school then should call them by baby names and other those type of words.  

It sounds as if it is normal where you are in school. In Britain it would not be tolerated. Note also spelling - their, not there, in that context.

I'm a 60 year old retired preschool and elem teacher. Those words would slip out of my mouth when I was teaching. :) For me, it just showed I really cared about them, because that is what I'd say to a neighbor child, or grand child etc.  I'd say " Ok Sweetheart" and then I'd say " Oh, I'm sorry, that is what I often call little kids ". I have a 19  year old Grand daughter , my first, and I still call her " Baby".  I finally told her, that is  just the way it is, because I've called you that since you were born and it means I love you very much. She likes it

This is regional and cultural. In some places it would be extremely odd, but in others it would be fairly normal.

• ?

I have no idea whether it's "normal" or not, but it's extremely unprofessional.

PS You mean "their" students. Surely by 11th grade you've grasped that their, there and they're all have their own different meanings.

No, as this just borders on the line of pedophilia or child molestation.

• mokrie

No. That's VERY unprofessional. 

• Rick B

their students, not there.  there is a location.

There, their, and they're are not interchangeable.