How dangerous is the beach?

I've always had this fear of the ocean, mainly that i'll get stung by something poisonous and die. But recently i've been looking into camping and fishing, and everyone sees to just be swimming in whatever lake there is and walking around so freely. 

So my question is, is my fear irrational? or is there certain knowledge i should possess about the outdoors before trying to walk in beaches to catch crabs to eat lmao.

It really depends on where you go swimming what potential risks there are. Generally public beaches will post warnings if there is danger in the water. 

As far as eating things you are not familiar with, that is not a good idea. But what is a good idea is going to go out into nature and becoming familiar with nature. Once you can reliable identify an organism you know whether it is good eating or not. The default should be, if you don't know it, don't eat it.

Just because you see people doing something doesn't mean it's safe. I'm scared of sharks so I prefer mountain lakes. 

I have no idea where you live but here in the USA no one and I mean NO ONE goes to the beach! About 3 or 4 years ago I went to the beach after New Hampshire declared all beaches to be safe. Well, the Sand Hogs attacked and ate my cousin right in front of me!

Look out for Whisterblanches and Three horned Caramanders. Wishystokers are often in abundance when night falls on most beaches and of course, beware the Jabberwock. Most beaches also have their share of Devils coachman beetles with the bloody big mandibles so look out for those buggers.

Very very dangerous, in one documentary that I saw the sheriff had to actually close the beach because of a great white shark attack, everyone was against him for this but the sheriff and two other guys actually went out on a boat and killed the shark.

Camping and fishing is safe as long as there are no bears or sharks.