Ricky asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Why has one of my fish disappeared without a trace ?

Yesterday before bed I had what looked like 4 healthy danio zebrafish and now I have 3. I can't find any clues as to where the other has gone. I took out the ornaments, nothing. I've only had the them 2 weeks and did my first water change the other day. I also think there is no chance of them getting out as there is a lid that covers the whole surface of the tank. Did one of them eat the fish? 

Update:

Thanks for your answers. Faricy, I do have a cat but it is unable to access the tank. IOM that is a good answer and I will definitely get more zebrafish thanks, however my tank is 65L so I'm sure that is adequate for providing them space. 

I went to the pet shop and they said the fish probably died and the other three just gobbled it up! 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

other fish probably ate it.

• 1 month ago

It probably got eaten

• 1 month ago

Zebras are very carnivirous

• Dave
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Other fish will consume.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Willie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The fat fish ate your fish.

• 1 month ago

Yeah. Might have died or lost to fight and it's got been eaten.

• 1 month ago

You need to get at least a 20 gallon long for danios. I would not personally put them in anything under 36 inches long.  danios are one of the most active freshwater fish.  And They should be in a school of 8+.  

A ten gallon is just not suited for them, despite the push to sell tiny tanks to sell more expensive glo fish. 

• IOM
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

While they can survive in a 10-gallon (37 litre) aquarium, they tend to only really thrive in larger aquarium. Since they are a schooling fish, they need to be kept in groups of at least five, and five danios can quickly become cramped in a 10-gallon (37 litre) aquarium. Any zebra danios that aren’t kept in a school, will often become stressed and may begin to display aggressive behavior towards other fish in the aquarium. However, once their numbers are brought up so that there are at last five of them, most of the aggressive behavior will disappear.

• 2 months ago

Oh man!  Do you have a cat?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.