My blood pressure was 142/87. Should I lower it?

I assume that this is the average of MULTIPLE READINGS.  If so than according g to the new standard adopted as bout 10 years ago then that's high. Especially if you're a younger person.

I would try loosing weight and lowering salt. Oh, and exersize.  and of course talk to a xoctor.

Source(s): This is exactly what a doctor told me about 10 years ago.

You can’t just base it on one BP reading.  You have to take your BP reading on 3 separate times to make sure it’s really elevated.

That's too high for a younger person if 142/87 is an average of your blood pressure readings taken over 2 or 3 days? If so then eat better and reduce cholesterol with plant sterol spreads. Also do appropriate exercises; if you're over weight and don't normally exercise, then you must gradually, over a week or two, build up the exercise intensity to normal levels. Rushing into it may cause serious medical issues.

So eating a low salt diet and exercise will help?

only by natural methods, NOT pills ! [ 120/80 is considered the standard, so you are close.]