Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 2 months ago

What advice can I give my daughter?

My daughter has always been about equality.As she got older she saw how this world is and tries to stand up for everyone. She gets mad when someone isnt treated correctly according to their skin color, LGBTQ, religion, or when someone gets bullied for what they like. She wants to dress a certain way and have a certain hair cut just to prove to society that just cause you look this way doesnt mean you're this type of person. She is 12 and wants to make a change in society. I support her 100% but what advice can I give her? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Your daughter needs to learn about equity not equality.

-- all people are not always going to be treated the "same" which is what equality means (equal) nor would we want that.

-- we want to honor people's differences not ignore them.

"She wants to dress a certain way and have a certain hair cut just to prove to society that just cause you look this way doesnt mean you're this type of person."

- it really depends on what she wants to do...

if she wants to dress in a sexual manner, people are going to think she is showing off her sexuality because that is what she is doing.

if she wants to dress goth, people are going to either think she is goth or a wannabe because people who are into goth are "dark" (unsmiling, uninviting, etc).

What advice do you give you? 

- you teacher her personal responsibility, value, how to treat people respectfully (regardless of their persona) and be kind.

• 2 months ago

Don't ever fold. Revel in the battle. 

• 2 months ago

CRIME is the issue, not skin color or clothing or hair style choices. But life will be easier for her ( i e less bullying) if she goes with the flow - especially at this age. People DO judge by outward appearance (!)

• 2 months ago

Tell her to study hard and do well in school so that she can get into a good college and perhaps a good law school after that and will be able to accomplish what she wants a lot better than she can at 12 years old.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

She must loot & riot. SMH

• 2 months ago

Just as actions have consequences,  appearances do too.   Society is conditioned. Discuss how different people react to visuals, start with tv, expectations,  cliche appearances and cultural identity. 

• 2 months ago

"Be yourself and stand up for what you believe in".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.