Do you have to pay taxes per stock earning?

Per positive amount you earn, do you need to pay taxes? from stock trading. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Hold on to your dookie, it's about to get spooky!

• 4 months ago

You pay at the time you file for the entire year. Yes, you will owe taxes on the income you make. You'll get a 1099 form from the stock manager so you can claim the money. 

• 4 months ago

Yes, you have to pay tax on money you make trading stocks.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

You owe taxes on actual gains. Plus dividends.  Not when a stock goes up, when you sell it and realize the gain.  I own a stock I bought about 20 years ago at $3. Its about $26 now. No taxes until I sell. (Except for the dividends)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

All sales in securities incur a taxable event.  You must report ALL profits on any and all securities transaction.

A tax liability is incurred whether you "take the money out" of your account or not.

Brian has given you some incorrect information.

• 4 months ago

i would call a tax place and ask them about it

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

You only pay taxes on what you take out.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

i would call a tax place and ask them

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Yes. It's income is capital gains. You have to pay capital gains tax. You don't have to pay the tax, though, until the gain is realized. That means, for example, if you bought a share of stock for $1 early this year and its price goes up to $10 and is at $10 when the tax year ends, you only have to pay the taxes on the $9 gain if you actually sold the stock for $10. If you didn't sell the stock but still own it, then you don't have to pay the tax. Your gains or losses are realized only when you actually sell stock you've bought and thus are only taxable in the year that you realize those gains or losses by selling.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.