Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Which sentence is grammtically correct?

The GMAT exam demands you to know as many ever English words as possible.

The GMAT exam requires you to know as many ever English words as possible.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

In order for a sentence to be grammatically correct, the subject and verb must both be singular or plural. In other words, the subject and verb must agree with one another in their tense.

Source(s): Https://myleabudhabi.ae
  • HMFan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Both are awkward because of the “ever.” Remove “ever” from either sentence and either sound better. The difference between “demands” and “requires” is up to you depending on how you want the reader to interpret the passage.

• 2 months ago

Answer: The GMAT is like a fancy floor mat in 3 aspects,

1. its a mat

2. its almost useless

3. its expensive

• John
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I think the first sentence is not correct and I prefer the second sentence. The word "demand" is a transitive verb which means people needs something physically, such as food and other necessities. For example, ① people in the village was starving, and everyoen here demanded the supply of fresh food and water in order to survive. ② Do you think this product is going to meet their demand?

If you really want to use this word "demand", I would like to change the sentence into this one. The GMAT exam is demanding, so you really need to know as many English words as you can.  :-)

The sentence is correct in English grammar itself, except that you should remove this word "ever". The word is meanless here, which disturb the whole meaning of the sentence. Ever means past. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • david
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Neither. "The GMAT exam requires you know as many English words as possible."

• 2 months ago

The GMAT exam advises you to know as many English words as possible.

• 2 months ago

This is not a question about grammar, it is a question of meaning.  Both verbs fit the grammatical structure so are grammatically correct.  I do not know that either is the correct meaning though.  And there is a major error in the structure or syntax that occurs in the use of many ever.  that is nonsensical.

GMAT requires and demands NOTHING.  Your performance depends on your knowledge, and a lot of the testing involves your understanding of a wide range of English words.  You can fail and the GMAT exam will be unaffected.  Your results or score are what will be affected.

Success in the GMAT does require an extensive vocabulary in the English language.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Both versions are comically incorrect.

I might say, sticking closely to your format: "The GMAT exam requires you to know as many English words as possible."

"Demands" is too forceful.

You have been totally misinformed about how to use 'ever'.

• 2 months ago

neither is common English usage.  Better would be: "The GMAT exam rewards those with the largest English vocabulary."

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Neither one is correct. 

The second one would be correct if you remove the word "ever".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.