Can I use this old router to extend my WiFi to my shed?


I’m looking to extend my WiFi network to my shed. I have found an old TalkTalk router in my house that hasn’t been used since I changed provider to Plusnet.

Is it possible to extend my WiFi with this old router? If so, what do I need to do, I have a long Cat 6 cable that will reach my shed.

This is what ports each of my routers have:

Plusnet Router: 1 x DSL, 4 x Gig Ethernet, 1 x WAN, 1 x USB

TalkTalk Router: 1 x ADSL port, 2 x LAN ports

Thanks for your help!

8 Answers

  • 2 weeks ago

    Yes, I am using a DLink wireless N router, I set it up as a WPS access point and since it runs on 2.4 GHz it won't

    interfere with my main network, which runs at 5 GHz.

  • VP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Hey 'I Like Stories' -- It might be easier if the OP gave the 2nd router a high IP address like -- something he'd never run into.  That way he doesn't have to fiddle with the 1st router.

  • 1 month ago

    Yes it's ver possible and you don't need anything else.

    Run the Cat6 from the TalkTalk routers LAN port to one of the Plusnet routers Gig Ethernet ports.

    On the TalkTalk router you need to disable DHCP.   

    On the TalkTalk router you need to configure a different SSID from the Plusnet router. This configuration won't work as a mesh (meaning one common SSID). 

    I would recommend that you give the TalkTalk router a static IP address from the IP address range on the Plusnet router.  For example, if the Plusnet router is using a private side IP address range of 192.168.1.(2-255), you give the TalkTalk router a static IP address of  Then configure the Plusnet DHCPs first address it assigns as  Best if you turn all your equipment off, turn on the two routers.  Then start turning on your devices so you don't run into IP addressing conflicts.

    You don't use any of other ports on the TalkTalk router, just one of the LAN ports.  I've done similar, I know it works.

  • 1 month ago

    Yes, you can use any old router as an access point, it's just a matter of whether there is a feature built-in that automatically converts it to an access point, or whether you have to do some manual fiddling to turn it into an access point. The most basic thing you have to do to turn it into an access point is to turn off the DHCP service on it. You can only have one DHCP service in a private network, and that function is usually reserved for the main router. Sometimes there's simply a checkbox in the setup that says "Do you want this act as a router or an access point?" and then your job is done. In other cases, you will have to manually disable its DHCP.

    Other things you can do to create an access point is to disable the secondary's WAN or Internet port. You can also change its internal IP network to match the internal IP of the main router. So let's say the main router's IP address is, then you'll need to change the secondary's to

    Now there are some practical physical reasons to be worried about running a long Ethernet cable from the house to the backyard, as an errant lawnmower blade, or a hungry gopher can chew through it. As long as you're careful, it should've be a problem.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lv 7
    1 month ago

    you don't use a router to extend wifi, you use a wifi extender, or, in your case, an access point, which you run a wire to from your source router.

    you will want to run conduit out to the shed, possibly underground, because all sorts of ground animals like to dig and eat the plastic on wires in the cold months.

    a router will not work for what you need.

  • 1 month ago

    Is it possible?  Probably.  But depending on the distance to the shed there is an easier and more reliable way to do this.  It is a WIFI extender.

    Assuming that the shed is close enough that your current WIFI reaches it, the extender will pick up the signal and rebroadcast it at full strength.  No need to run a cable to the shed.  (Cables do not survive being outside.)  

    If needed, you can add one extender at the very back of the house as near to the shed as you can get it.  All an extender needs is an electric outlet to be plugged into.  It will boast the signal.  Hopefully then a second extended in the shed can boost it again and you will have good coverage not just in the shed, but in the yard around your shed.

    An old router like the Talk Talk is going to be run an older protocol that will be about 1/10th  to 1/100th the speed of your current router.  Performance would be poor.

  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Old routers provided by telecom companies often can't be configured to be an extender or access point.  In your case the TalkTalk doesn't even have a WAN port so it's likely going to be a complete waste of your time to try.  On top of that old WIFI routers use old standards that won't provide very reliable WIFI anyway.  That said it doesn't hurt to try other than lost time. 

  • You can.  You first need to make some adjustments to the old router.  Then you plug your ethernet lead from an ethernet port on the old router to an ethernet port (not the ADSL port) on the new router.  Details of the adjustments are in this article

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.