Do you think the Jerry Lewis Telethon used Pity to solicit money?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favourite answer

I know a number of "Jerry's Kids" - their memories are grim.  The toys and fancy clothes pictured on the screen were props. They did not get to keep them. They had to practice their lines for many hours and miss school.  Kids did not get to play together when not on screen. The hours were grueling. No one asked if the kids wanted to do it, they asked the parents.

David B, you are a piece of work. "They simply made a need known."  Exaggerating a child's disability and make them feel awful about themselves. Showing them on prime time TV so their school mates ostracized them. Do you think a kid felt equal to their peer after a telethon told the world how awful it must be to be them.  

• Judith
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course it did - and very effectively too.  Awareness and donations were made which wouldn't have been otherwise.  I'm sorry that many of the children who were on the show felt used - but it was for a good cause.  

• 1 month ago

Yes he did.  And many people who did have disabilities were most upset with the way they were shown as an object of pity instead of a person who could only had something that was just an inconvenience.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They simply made a need known. People with a sense of empathy and pity made donations. No one was forcing them to. Why attempt to make something that helps people into something bad? I suppose you think the cute little kids on the Shriners commercials are evil too.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.