Tree that is growing between my fence and a neighbors . it is a volunteer tree. Was not  planted by me. Whose responsibility is it?

• garry

dont care whose responsibily it is , you dont want it so its a weed , drill a 1/2 hlee in it and fill the hole with weed killer , then reseal the hole with tape , 2 weeks time you will have a dead tree .

We have a similar problem. Neighbors put up a stockade fence along our chain link when they moved in, now we have rose o Sharon's growing between them. It's impossible to keep ahead of pulling the saplings.

• Shark

anything on your property is yours

• John P

A 'volunteer' tree?? Do tell us what you mean!

Possibly a 'self-sown' tree, one which just started growing without anybody planting it.

• L

Discuss this with your neighbor and agree to share the cost of removing the tree.

If the tree is on the property line, you can take care of it without anyone's permission. And so can your neighbor. It's whoever wants to do the job.  If If it's on either SIDE of the property line, yours or his, then whomever's side it is on is supposed to take care of it. If any branches hang over the property line from your neighbor's tree(s) and they hang into your yard, you can cut them off AT the property line--but not beyond. 

I'd say just cut it down if you want to--if your neighbor is really invested in this tree, he would have told you by now. 

"Between my fence and a neighbors".  I have no idea what that means.  If it's on your property then its your responsibility otherwise it's his.  If you're trying to say it's on the line, then work it out.

And what does 'responsible' mean?  You want it taken down?  Want to trim it?  Any branches on your property you can trim.  You can't touch his side.  You can't make the tree unsafe to damage his property or kill it (if it's actually on his property.)

These are things neighbors just talk to each other about.

Best thing is to talk to them and reach and agreement. Of course.

• drip

It doesn’t matter who planted the tree or if it just sprung yo itself. What matter is whose property it is on. That is who is responsible for the tree. 

• y

I'd talk to the neighbor and see what they think about it.