How come schools don’t teach children about debt, personal finance, and how to manage money?

Fortunately, many schools have started making this a mandatory course. My grandson, a high school senior, is now taking it. For many years it was not taught in most schools but this oversight is being corrected.

They do! I'm a junior in highschool, and I'm interested in business, so I've made it my goal to take all the business related classes I can find. I think if those students really cared about understanding those things and not just using it as an excuse to accuse schools of being useless, they could take those classes, pay attention, and learn those exact things. I took this class called Money Matters and heard it was a lame class, but it turned out to be fun and I learned a lot that I didn't know before. Anyway, I do think that schools should make it more of a priority, but the lack of understanding should partly be placed on that student's shoulders as well.

Source(s): me :)

Good schools do.  It's called "business math" and most of the curriculum is personal economics. 

Source(s): I teach it.

Because schools are still a business and teaching oneself personal finance and managing money should come from parents or household where we all start learning when growing up. Hope this helps

• Cos you don't tell people how to spend their money. You're not their mother. 

Some schools do have programs like these, but they're rare. And they ARE needed. Along with sex education, this is one place in our education system that's sorely lacking. By the time a student reaches graduation, they ought to know how to manage a paycheck, seek credit, avoid debt and use their funds sensibly. Alas, most of them have NO CLUE. In the absence of school instruction, parents should do this--but again, if parents don't know how, it's not going to get done. And that's one of the reasons debt and credit problems are so prevalent.  

• F

Probably because most teachers are in debt  and can’t manage their own money. 

That is supposed to be taught to you by your parents. 

It used to be called parenting. I know that providing bed and board is considered good parenting nowadays but it wouldn't take much effort for a parent to put down their iphone for 5 minutes and teach their child some life skills. 

They once did - but have more important things to impart now:  how to choose you gender and sue your parents to pay for it . . . . . . . the latest drugs . . . . . sex . . . . participation awards, etc etc etc.