Anonymous

As an autistic person, why call yourself an “ally” for us autistics if you’re just trying to want to “cure”?

You’re not my ally if you think “curing” my autism which is fused to my brain, and personality from birth. I see you as an enemy, ableist, careless, an excuse to not help us improve in life, and lazy. Early intervention, and speecg tharopy pls, stop wasting money on a “cure” that will pretty much never happen. 

Are we going to forget that parents are forcing their autistic kids to drink bleach to “cure” them? Us autistics get enough hate, wanting to “cure” us tells me you see us as subhuman. 

• Don't label all parents the same. I never heard of a bleach cure until you posted about it. Doesn't make it right, but I don't think parents commonly do this. Exaggerating the harm many parents do do does nothing to support your cause.

A long time friend of mine has a severely autistic son, and hope for a cure is all any person can do to be an ally...the people that can do real, actual help for him is a very, very short list.