Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Can a chef turn out anything that is NOT "comfort food" (i.e. food that tastes good)?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Walt
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

a good chef can make all types of food

• 1 month ago

'Comfort food' generally isn't defined just as 'food that tastes good'. 

A chef is a professional cook; they can make many things, but comfort food is generally different from person to person. 

• 1 month ago

Yes, different people have different tastes. Not everything that a particular chef makes will taste good to everyone. Comfort food doesn't just imply good taste, there's an element of the nostalgic involved and chefs often don't evoke that.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are confusing the terms. Comfort food is, for example, a good stew on a wintery day. A bowl of Mac Cheese when it is cold outside. A whole roast beef with gravy and all the fixings. 

A Chef is just a fancy cook. Just look at all the 'Professional Chef's' on TV. A chef is someone that can make a meal look and taste delicious. A Great Chef is one that can do the same thing, but make it out of litterally nothing, 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Alpha
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are not understanding what a chef is and what comfort foods are.  In common usage, a chef is someone who is a trained professional cook. In France and many parts of Europe, a chef is the head cook of an establishment and the word chef is short of "chef de cuisine" meaning "head of the kitchen".  The title does not mean the person only turns out comfort foods.

Comfort foods are basically the typical foods people eat because of taste or nostalgia and not for any real nutritious value. 

• 1 month ago

Not happily.

I'm not a chef or the joke of people who call themselves "home chefs." If you know why that term is so comedic, you know. But when you know what will be enjoyable and are forced to make it unenjoyable for somebody's dietary restrictions, I compare that to Mozart playing Miely Cyrus songs because one guy at the party thinks hearing G# is bad for ya'.

• 1 month ago

Comfort food isnt "food that tastes good". Look up the definition. I'm sure a chef can make a bad dish same as anyone

• Audrey
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

They could, but they know people want good tasting food! 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Mediocre Chefs (Cooks) get set in ways that often make dining unpleasant.

Example: Asking for ketchup and having the Chief get angry that You don't like HIS/Her Seasoning.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

i dont think so......but he can make a nice custom barbeque sauce or ketchup or something. to go with confort food.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.