Can I use Butter instead of EVOO? ?

Can I use Butter instead of EVOO for my tuna steaks? 

• IvaB

Butter,by itself has a pretty low smoke point (the temp where the butter will burn).So in order to raise the smoke point heat a tbs. of evoo in a pan on medium high heat, add a knob of butter to the oil,and cook the tuna steak as usual. 

Any good restaurant would use Butter. Unless there was like diet Tuna on the menu. 

You can use butter or another oil. 

the milk solids in butter tend to burn if cooked at a high heat for long. The browning of the milk solids does add flavor just do not let them get burned

Yes. Butter will burn if you're cooking them, but so does evoo.

• kswck2

Yes, but use Ghee, or clarified butter. Easily made at home. 

yes but I would use clarified butter which you can easily make yourself.

Butter is 13% water and milk solids. It will brown or burn at higher temperatures. Mixing the butter with olive oil raises the smoke point and lessens the possibility of burning. If you are doing a simple sear to serve with warm center tuna, I'd use a mixture, then add butter to hold the spices.

Yes, you can use butter instead of evoo.

i dont see why not

Yes.