Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Does being moral get you to heaven?

32 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You did not state whose morality you meant. Your own idea of being moral? The ideas of 'the intelligentsia'? The fluid coming-and-going standards of whatever society you happen to live in? Or, if you meant the standards of the God of the Bible, the answer to your Q is in there. "All our righteous acts are as filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away" - said of God's covenant people (Isaiah 64:6). This was quoted in the Christian scriptures in Romans 3:10 to apply to everyone.

Good morals are not added up like a list, to be accounted at the end to see if we are more moral than we are immoral (for we are all immoral), as if God had balances and if we tipped them over into the 'good', God would let us into Heaven. The only way to get into Heaven is to admit that God's judgment of us is true, that "there is no-one righteous, not one". We confess before God and put all our faith in what Jesus did to save us from our sins - to be freely pardoned because of Him. Then we live transformed lives, becoming more like Him, but not in order to get into Heaven - because we now know we are Heaven-bound!

Source(s): Read Ephesians 1:12-14 & 2:3-10 & 17-22
  • 1 month ago

No.  Because nothing you do is good enough.  God Himself says that “all your works are as filthy rags.”

Jesus Christ the Son of God has paid for your sins.  Resting in HIS works is the ONLY  way you will get to heaven.

• 1 month ago

Qur'an 5:105

O you who have attained to faith! It is [but] for your own selves that you are responsible: those who go astray can do you no harm if you [yourselves] are on the right path. Unto God you all must return: and then He will make you [truly] understand all that you were doing [in life].

There is no god but God. Jehovah/Yahweh/the Father. To say that there are other gods beside one god leads to hell. God promises heaven to the believers that don't ascribe partners with him.

Qur'an 5:9

God has promised unto those who attain to faith and do good works [that] theirs shall be forgiveness of sins, and a mighty reward;

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Good or not, one cannot simply be present to an absent. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only indirectly. We can't "earn" our way to Heaven. Salvation is a free gift God offers to every human being. All we have to do is accept the gift. However, living an immoral life means rejecting the gift, and living a moral life allows us to accept the gift.

• 1 month ago

The Bible says it can:

For when people of the nations, who do not have the Law, do by nature the things of the Law, these people, although not having the Law, are a law unto themselves.  They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the Law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them, and by their own thoughts they are being accused or even excused.   

Romans 2:14 -15   

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • Huh?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. There is no demonstrable evidence that heaven exists so all claims about what can or cannot get you "into heaven," are irrational claims and should be ignored until such time as evidence is presented justifying belief. 

• 1 month ago

King James Bible Version

Ezekiel Chapter 18

4. Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

5. BUT IF A MAN BE JUST, and do that which is lawful and right,

6. And hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, neither hath defiled his neighbour's wife, neither hath come near to a menstruous woman,

7. And hath not oppressed any, but hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment;

8. He that hath not given forth upon usury, neither hath taken any increase, that hath withdrawn his hand from iniquity, hath executed true judgment between man and man,

9. Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD.

Galatians Chapter 5

19. NOW THE WORKS OF THE FLESH are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

John Chapter 14

6. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

1 Timothy Chapter 2

5. For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6. Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Acts Chapter 3

19. REPENT ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

• 1 month ago

No, as there is no such place.  However, according to the Christian mythology, opinion is divided on the matter.  The Protestant line tends to say no, that only belief in Christ gets you to heaven.  Catholicism says belief in Christ AND being a good person (ie doing good works on Earth) are required.

• rodcom
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Being moral gets you respect from people who know you, nothing more.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.