Porsha asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

My psych procedures have left me disabled?

So I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2013. I graduated at the top ten percent of my high school. In 2018 I was suffering and went to a mental hospital. they injected me with all kinds of weird stuff. then i switched doctors and she recommended i go to another hospital. they shocked my brain and gave me all kinds of weird stuff. fast forward to now i slowly started losing my academic skills. first I lost my memory skills and retention. then one day I couldn't think thoughts all day. I think with all the meds doctors and injections I am even more disabled then I was before. I am so sad that even though I was a straight A student I can't even think remember or analyze anymore. and all my doctor wants to do is put me on anti depressants 

Sadly, this is not a rare occurrence when it comes to treating mental health disorders. It's why so many people who have a disorder where anti-psychotic medications are prescribed go off their meds. Because those drugs have a tendency to "dull" a person, academically and creatively. My uncle was a prodigy on the guitar before being diagnosed with schizophrenia. Once he was medicated, the music kind of went away, as did a lot of his social and academic skills. We've found treatments that work very well for some people who have certain diagnoses, but any treatment comes at a cost. I would really recommend you finding a psychiatrist to prescribe, one that will listen to your concerns and at the very least feel some empathy around how you have been impacted. They may be able to give you some tools or suggestions for maintaining your current functioning or even gaining back some of what you've lost. Regular counseling would also be a good idea, if for no other reason than to support you while you process having lost some of your skills. 

Sadly, no one has educated you about Bipolar Disease and so, let me.

Bipolar Disorder is an inherited and genetic disease that runs in families.  This is how you got it.  It is a chronic and life-long mental illness that is caused by a biochemical imbalance within your brain that gives you manic highs and depressive suicidal lows.  We use medications that have to build up in the body to have an effect on your symptoms so that you remain level.

People with this chronic illness usually have their first break in their late teens or early 20's and require hospitalization.  During hospitalization, you are given high doses of the medication that relieves your symptoms so it can build up in your body quicker and stabilize you.

Now, without your daily medication you can become wildly manic, have pressure of speech and flight of ideas, stay awake for days, even weeks on end and psychosis can develop.  Or you may become suicidal and even attempt it, you can become argumentative and hard to live with.  You won't be able to function, get a job and keep it or be functional without your medication.

This disease is debilitating over a lifetime and this is why you must take it seriously and just like a diabetic, you must take your medication to remain out of the hospital and functioning.

Many famous people have this disease including one of our presidents, Theodore Roosevelt.  And Jim Carrey, the comedian has it, too.  But you need to understand your need for medication and taking good care of your own health. 

Wasn't this explained to you?