When my doctor takes my blood pressure, I get high readings. Has this happened to you?

Always. That is why I bought my own for home use. 

Hello! Having higher blood pressure readings at a doctor's office is common and could mean you have white coat hypertension. White coat hypertension can be caused when someone gets stressed or anxious in a medical setting which can cause their blood pressure to go higher than normal. Your doctor may have you check your blood pressure at home over a certain period of time to get your overall blood pressure levels. This will give a better idea of your actual blood pressure to make sure you get the proper treatment.

• 1465

It's called "white coat syndrome" but it's actually the reaction by the brain to the cuff compress the two arteries in the arm.

When the cuff squeezes the arm and compresses the arteries, the brain thinks a blockage has formed. It then increases the pressure to try and dislodge it.

It takes several readings to convince the brain that there is no blockage.

When the blood pressure readings show similar consecutive readings (within a few points of each other), this can be accepted as the true blood pressure.

I have a home monitor and have seen readings as high as 150/90 drop to less than 120/80 simply by taking multiple readings.

The reason doctors don't do this routinely is that a) they don't fully understand how it works, and b) they don't have the time necessary to spend with individual patients.

• Audrey

Yes. It's called white coat hypertension. You get nervous in your doctor's office and that raises your BP.  Usually waiting a few minutes and having him take it again is all you need. If not, get a home monitor and take it when you're relaxed at home 

• Tavy

Always, white coat syndrome. I take mine at home and give him the results.

UK

• Petter

Yes, google "white coat syndrome".