Sideways studs. what baseboard size to use?

I have a basement wall in my house where the studs are sideways (laying flat against wall). I need to replace the bottom board, and it looks like I need a board that is actual size 2x2 inches. But, i cant find lumber that size. Is there a pre-cut board to buy that people use for sideways studs?

Update:

i found 2x2 boards, but they actually measure 1.5 inches, and doesn't look right. it looks like i actually need 2x2. what boards do people use for sideways studs?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Okay, what you have is studs laid on the flat. Planed 2x4 is 1 5/8"x 3 1/2".  Take a tape measure and measure yourself.  A rough unplaned 2x4 is 2"x4".  No one uses that in regular construction(too many slivers) so the sawmills plane down the boards to make them smooth.

You want a 2x2 for a bottom plate.   It will be 1 5/8".  Take it and match it with any planed 2x4 and you will see it matches (otherwise you bought some trim that is 1.5" trim board.

Ask about baseboards while you are at the lumber yard and they can show you that.

Baseboards are nailed to the bottom plate to finish it up. Studs laid on the flat is for inside house walls (that do not need insulating) because the outdoors is not on the other side of the wall (hot or cold weather) On those walls, they may be 2x6 or 2x8 wall studs. The thicker the board, the more insulation you can get in the cavity before you top sheet it with some kind of wall board.

You just have room dividers to separate one room from another and just stop the ability to look through the whole house from any one point. People want privacy for the bathroom or bedroom. Some plumbing works better(are hidden) when 2x4 are on edge so holes are drilled through by plumber.

• Old
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

It sounds like you have furring strips to attach wall covering to a masonry wall.  If this is the case you will need pressure treated lumber and you will need to rip a 2x4 down to the correct width.  Alternately you could use a 2x2 and shim it up when attaching so the bottom doesn't touch the floor.

• 4 weeks ago

you mean Noggins and the width of the sheets is half the height of the ceiling 

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

A 2x4 is actually 1 1/2 x 3 1/2, so a 2x2 (which is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2) should work fine.

You'll want to use pressure-treated lumber for bottom plate.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You would have to rip on down from 2x4 or a couple from 2x6. The problem is if you are using pre treated you will cut off one face and need to retreat.

• 1 month ago

rip one from a 2x4.  the critical dimension is the thickness that lays against the wall, not the other direction.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The studs on your wall now are also 1.5 inches, unless you somehow wound up with rough lumber.  Rough lumber hasn't been planed to final size.  In the case of dimensional lumber in the US, though it's called a 2x4 it is, in fact, 1.5 x 3.5 inches.

If you have a piece that is actually two inches thick, there is a chance it was cut down to that size in the field by whoever installed it.

• 1 month ago

There are size 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches. If you need actual 2 inch thickness you need to rip cut them that size with a lengthwise cut. If you cant do that a local woodshop can.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.