Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

Is there a type of switch that  on-on=on  on-off=on off-off=off I searched two-way switch but it's not like that because it's on-on=off?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

1. There is NO SUCH THING as 'on' or 'off' on switches designed to have multiple switches controlling one device. If the switches you have are marked with 'on' and 'off', they must be REPLACED with what the US calls 2 way switches to work properly.

2. The correct switches have a 'common' and 2 'travelers'. Flipping the switch changes which traveler running between the switches is connected to the common. When both switches have the same traveler connected to the common, the circuit is on. When they have opposing travelers connected to the common, the circuit is off.

Note: I understand what we call a 3 way switch in the US is called a 2 way switch in other countries.

The self proclaimed 35 year engineer lacks the comprehension skills that were required in 4th grade when he/she would have been that age.

Update: After reading the other answers, and rereading the question, I believe you want 2 simple on/off switches wired so that if either switch is on, the circuit is on, but if, and only it both switches are off, the circuit is off

If that is what you want, use 2 NORMAL on/off switches. Wire the 'hot' from the breaker to the hot side of both switches. Then connect separate wires from the 'load' side of each switch to whatever you are turning on and off.

• 4 weeks ago

you might want to consider providing some context as this sounds like digital gate programming

• 4 weeks ago

you need an "AND" logic circuit for that ... there aren't 110v switches like that

• 4 weeks ago

No.  The supposed three way switches are just two two way switches.   If both are flipped in UP position the lights are on.   If they are both flipped in the DOWN position the lights are on.   If either one is flipped in the opposite direction the lights are off. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's either a 3 way switch or you can't compose a coherent question!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

35 years of engineering an I do not understand wtf you mean.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.