Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 weeks ago

Why are Americas convinced single payer healthcare is radical and impossible, yet are okay with corporations getting billions in tax cuts?

Single payer would be cheaper than the current for-profit system. Yes, we'd all pay around $300/month more in taxes but we wouldn't have to pay $700/month in private health insurance premiums.

Update:

32 of the world's 33 developed nations have figured out single payer healthcare, and ALL OF THEM pay less than we do in America. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

In reading some of the answers I see much of the mis-information trotted out by the right through agencies such as FOX.  I listened to an article they had a while back talking about the Canadian system and really had to laugh.  I even see @Echo Chamber bringing up the fact that some Canadians leave the country for health care.  While true so do a much larger percentage of Americans.  It is estimated, according to the best available information, that approximately 40,000 Canadians travel outside of the country each year for medical help.  The equivalent number of US Citizens travelling would be around 400,000 based on the fact that the population of the US is approximately 10 times that of Canada.  However over 1 million US Citizens travel outside of the country each year for medical assistance, a rate approximately 2.5 times higher than that in Canada.  In fact more US Citizens travel to Canada than Canadians travel outside of the country as a whole for medical assistance.

In fact I have an acquaintance who was working in New Mexico.  He found he could fly to Canada, see a doctor here to get a prescription, have the prescription filled and fly home at a cost lower than what it would be to get the prescription filled at home.  Another friend had a medical emergency, yes they have insurance, and were brought to the nearest hospital.  Unfortunately for them the hospital was not one of the ones covered through their plan and, although it did end up covering a portion of the bill, they ended up with a $30,000 bill as a result.  In Canada there is no such thing as "the wrong hospital" and the total cost to them would have been less than $100.The facts are that in the US health care costs are higher than basically every major western country and no, allowing companies to expand across certain lines will not create "great deals".  The purpose of these insurance companies and hospitals is to make money for their share holders as in the US health care is profit driven whereas in most other countries it operates on a break even or even a cost negative system.Just to clarify, there is not such animal as free health care, rather in countries other than the US everyone pays a percentage of their income towards their health care and can go to a doctor or a hospital without worrying about whether their plan will cover the visit or how much extra it will cost them.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

the gov't needs to give healthcare back to the private sector. AND remove the law that does not allow insurance companies to cross state lines. when competition is introduced, it makes prices go down, and quality go up.

• 4 weeks ago

Can you say non-sequitur?

Single payer is inferior because the demand for free is infinite.  Sooner or later, you will have to choose between Quality or Quantity.  The assumption that the level of healthcare is a constant, and that therefore, the only variable is cost,  is fundamentally and often fatally wrong.  Under single payer systems, you the patient are a cost, not a customer.   They already have your money.  Now you have to convince them to give it back to you in services rendered.  Good luck.  Some anonymous LPN with an accounting minor is going to decide if saving your life is cost effective, necessary, or worth the effort.  Private healthcare systems have to provide you with something of value, at a price better than anyone else, in order to get your business.  They cost more, but they have a vested interest in keeping you alive.

• 4 weeks ago

Sounds like a democrat sales pitch.  The last time a democrat promised us $2500/savings/family all of our costs trippled.  And now...because deductibles are so high...no one can afford to go the doctor except the poor...who have now and always had their medical needs taken care of for free.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Many answers here are right on; but there's something else to add. And that is why should I be paying $300 more in taxes (which is a low-ball number, BTW) for other people's pre-existing conditions, or their own neglect? 

And, oh yes, I know people from those other single-payer nations who tell me how crappy the quality of care is over there compared to here. Why do you think many Canadians come to the U.S. for procedures?

• 4 weeks ago

Adding the government into anything is rarely a plus.  

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

ANY government funded program does not make money-see Medicare, Social Security, etc. Entrusting that kind of program to the Fed is like unlocking the  door to the insane asylum. Just the temptation for Fraud is just too great. 

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Obamacare was supposed to reduce our healthcare costs by $2500/year.  That never happened but liberals are back trying to sell us another pig in a poke.

We won't get fooled again!

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

1)  Single-payer reduces choice, provides inferior coverage (for some) and raises cost (for some).

2)  Low corporate tax rates means more money to grow business, stave off inflation, create jobs, pay workers more.

I understand if you disagree with that point of view.  What I don't get is your inability to intellectually understand a political viewpoint that is different than your own.   It's really not that hard.

ETA:   No, we *all* won't be paying $300 more per month.   Some will be paying $0 more per month and others will be paying $1500 more per month.   That's how taxes work.   Some people feel that continuing to pile other people's expenses onto successful people is an infringement on their freedom. 

• 4 weeks ago

I was told the ACA would be better than what I had before. That was a lie. Now I'm told single payer will be better. I'm guessing that's a lie also.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.