Soprano asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Does riding bike give better exercise than stationary?

I can ride my bike inside at higher RPM for like an hour and feel fine after.  But I rode my bike outside for like half hour at less RPM and was so beat I felt like it was way better of a workout.  I didn't have to climb that many hills, theres spots where the road declines a bit and inclines a bit nothing too major.  I was surprised by how drained I was after it.

On the plus side, riding inside has made me a way better rider outside.  I used to try to take my bike out and could barely pedal it took so much energy.  But now going out I can pedal so easily.

• D50

Isn't it actual fun for you to ride outside? Doesn't that make it more likely that you will do it? And isn't the activity you DO better exercise than the one you only think about?

• F

On an exercise bike you are effectively riding on a flat road in a vacuum .  Even a very small uphill slope requires a lot more effort on the road and even still air presents a lot of resistance.  Add in friction at the tyres and you could easily use 2-3x as much energy outside,  

Captain Obvious says yes.  

I haven't used a stationary bike in years, their main advantage as I recall was being able 

to use no matter what the weather was outside. Outdoors you're dealing with elements,

that can be either in your favor or make what should be an easy ride cause serious pain.

One thing is for certain you like using the word "like" a whole lot, like for real.

It's been my personal experience that simulated machines can't truly replace the real thing. That's like comparing a treadmill to actual jogging or machine weights to free weights. At best machines can only help to improve exercises that are the real thing.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

Didn't you just answer your own question? 🤔  Inside there's NO HILLS, NO WIND RESISTANCE & NO TRAFFIC!  Oh, sure...inside you can increase or decrease resistance simply by upshifting or downshifting through the gears.  But, consider this...  It's been stated that for every one mph the rider gains (over about 10 to 12 mph) he or she has to increase power 3 to 4 times!  Think of all the extra energy you're expending riding 18 to 20 mph compared to 10 mph.  This is why aerodynamics plays such an important role in racing road bikes. 

Read this!!! https://www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/aerodynamics...

Make sure your saddle (seat) is at the proper height for optimal leg extension & power.  https://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#height

Understand how to use those gears.  https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears.html  You should be pedaling at a relatively high "cadence" (pedal rpm) whether inside or outside.  

Maybe the warm weather outside helps the workout be more effective!