24V 250W motors?

I am trying to make an electric go-kart. I have limited knowledge about these things and I am still learning. I had 2, 24V 250w electric motors that had a gear ratio of 11:68 (11 teeth on the motor, 68 teeth on the drive shaft). I connected 2 24V batteries to the motors with a switch, but the vehicle didn't move. I got 2 more motors to increase the force I could put into the driveshaft. Now I have 4 24V 250w electric motors and the driveshaft still won't turn. I am planning on getting a motor controller to regulate the speed, but I don't know if that will fix the problem. I also don't know what impact adding more motors has on the system.

Update:

They are DC motors.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

250 watts = about 1/3 horsepower.  One motor should drive the cart - certainly not high performance, but it should make it move.  Start out by simply connecting one motor to one battery, using the wiring configuration you have set up in the cart.  Does the motor turn without a load?

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Also, use deep-cycle batteries.

Regular lead-acid batteries are good for starting an engine but die quickly.

• 1 month ago

250/24=10.41 A

whether s batteries connected parallel can deliver 10.41 A

and for how long?

as a first step try to run motor without load.

try 9:79 gear ratio(space constraints may come into play)

try to use E-bicycle motors which come/ are supplied with controls as well.

good luck

untried edison

• 1 month ago

Are the motors DC?

Can you run 1 motor by itself from a battery?

Did you check all of the motors, One at a time  to see if they run?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The trouble was......

you cannot use more than one motor on the same one drive shaft because those motors do not synchronize on rotation.

One way to do by using one motor to drive one wheel alone by still need synchronization control to them.

• 1 month ago

You don't know motors.  If you did, you would tell if DC or AC.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.