Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 4 weeks ago

Have you ever built your own email server?

• What was the cost?

• How long did it take?

• What were some challenges?

• BigE

Yes, hardware costs, just a Dell server with Raid support.

1 month or less.

You have to narrowly write the requirements.  mail list support?  Imap?  web mail? virus scanning?  spam detection? where is it going to sit (colo or onsite) ?  exchange?  automatic forwarding?  email delegation? authentication?  Outbound (authenticated only)? DNS management?  Certificate support?

I did mine in Linux packages and software.  I am almost sure there is better integrated packages now instead of piecemealing postfix/dovecot and I think at least 5 other software components.

• keerok

Yes.

Zero (Sendmail is free and I installed it on an old computer).

No time at all (just the time to install Linux. Sendmail and Apache comes with it).

Configuration (It's all about security although the server will run after installation when you turn it on).

not yet,but you might be able to get those answers online

• Lv 7

depends on the size, needs, and capability necessities of the server.

you can put a mailserver on ANY computer for free.

but the more people who will have mailboxes, you will want beefier servers.

most often at least $10000, but sometimes more. i've seen servers for half a mil. depends on the client's needs.

you always need to talk to the client first, before making a quote, to assess their needs.