(Image) does any one know or have a way for me to find out what's under this "heat shield" on my motherboard?

. I wanted to move my old dual band internet chip to my new computer but couldn't find the necessary slot until I took off the graphics card and this was about the same size but I dont want to be taking off something I'm not supposed to

Seeing how that's an AM3+ motherboard, that's a heatsink over the SouthBridge Chipset.

The SouthBridge Chipset takes care of things like SATA ports, USB ports, Ethernet, and Audio.

On older platforms, There used to be a Northbridge chipset on motherboards as well but in modern platforms most of those functions got moved to the CPU. In modern systems the Southbridge chipset is now known as the PCH which stand for Platform Control Hub. 

The heatsink should sit low enough to where you can install a Graphics card.

• Shadow

That is a heat sink for the South Bridge chip that is directly soldered to the mainboard and you cannot just move chips around. The only 'chip' that can be swopped between mainboards is the CPU and the boards still need to be compatible with that specific CPU.

Also, why are you using surgical tweezers in your computer?

maybe you should take it to a computer place and let them help you with it

• User

To me it looks like

not a "heat shield"

but

rather

a "heat sink"

(which allows the heat of the attached chip to radiate more easily. Indeed - if that is what it is - it is little more than a radiator for an integrated circuit.)

OF course I can't identify the underlying chip without knowing what PC you have

but

it's likely to be a support chip (controlling functions like RAM access and DMA hard drive access so that the CPU does not have to do so). The main two used to be called the South Bridge and the North Bridge. Not sure if that is still the case.

• Lv 7

you cannot just move and install chips in any old thing, unless they specifically support it.

just change the board. otherwise, you will need to write drivers to support them.

No name and model number of that computer?  No guess from afar for you.

You cannot search the Internet for that motherboard's user guide? 

Without the motherboard schematic, no way to really know.  Note: not all motherboards are interchangeable and not all parts are interchangeable.  A manual would help you a lot.