How to start a business?

I’m still in high school but it’s my last year and I’ve struggled what career I want to pursue. I began school wanting to go to college but now I’m very indecisive on deciding whether or not that’s the path I want to take. However, I’ve always wanted my own clothing brand. How would I go about getting being a successful entrepreneur and business owner? I know I must do a lot more research than just yahoo questions but if anyone has any advice or tips where to start it would be appreciated :)

A clothing brand is not a simple task. It's also not a "business".  A clothing brand comes from a designer, usually--that's the first step. Do you design clothing? Then your first task is to get your designs recognized by the fashion industry. This is a difficult task. Have you ever watched Project Runway?  You see how the designers that participate in that show struggle with having their designs not only accepted, but also praised--and having manufacturers want to produce them as separate brands?  Becoming a well-known designer is probably harder than becoming a superstar rock musician. 

There is a TON of competition for places in fashion. You start by making your own stuff, or perhaps working for another designer who is well-known and trying to get that designer to back your designs under their name--then maybe being able to branch out on your own little by little until you can show that your designs are better.  

You're talking more about recognition as an artist than an enterpreneurial enterprise.  

Starting any business requires more than simply having an idea--it requires being able to contact the right people, obtaining funding for stock or supplies, having a place to work, and having something that people want to buy. There is a vast amount of information on how to do this in different ways, and it's available in a large number of places. First, you need a clear plan of exactly what you want to do--and you start there by finding other people who have done what you want to do and asking how they got their start--which is going to be a lot MORE information. I think the first thing you ought to do is narrow down exactly WHAT it is you want to accomplish, break it down into steps if you can, and take each step one by one until you have the info you need. 

If you're interested in fashion, then college is a great place to begin--you can major in fashion design, clothing design, textiles, or marketing. All of those will be of great help. There are colleges specifically for this training and education. And a great many designers start by going to school somewhere. VERY FEW of them don't. Begin with college--I think you will get your most valuable information there. 

Let me get this straight, in order to be somewhere first you got start the journey. 

Instead of getting a job, why not try some investment in cryptocurrency to put up some funds together in other to enable you start up your business? you can invest through a transparent and multi-talented forex trader “Annie Fox” on Facebook 

Take the 2 year associate degree in marketing,  then some business classes. 

• John

I can just about throw a rock and hit the San Francisco branch from here:

https://fidm.edu/

Get a job in clothing. Boutique, department store, it makes no difference in the beginning. Just get a job in the field. If you could find one in the design and making of then so much the better. But those are rare.....

You don't know what you don't know and you need to learn what you don't know. Starting and running a business - a real business - takes more know how that you even imagine. Want to describe the bookkeeping and accounting process for me? Buying, receivables, payables, inventory control and management? Credit?

Go to school or get a job or both. Thinking you are going to just jump into a real business straight out of high school is just not a viable idea.

As for your cryptocurrency answer - if it sounds too good to be true, it almost always IS. Too good to be true...

Source(s): My 37th year in design and light manufacturing brick and mortar business.
  • Mark

There are different pathways to a career.  You could pursue fashion design, and go to school for it. School may provide some training and techniques you don't have. 

If you have the raw talent, you can start by sewing your own stuff, posting on IG, get a following, then find as manufacturer to make the items to sell.  

Go to work in the industry.  Find a designer that needs an intern.

There are actually quite a few t-shirt designers that do this on their own.  They post their designs, take pre-orders for a limited time, then collect $ and have the orders fulfilled.  They don't risk any $ as the orders are pre-paid and there's no leftover inventory.

• Pat

90 percent of all businesses fail in the first two years because the owners don't know how to run a business.

They may know the products or services, such as cooking if it's a restaurant, fashion if it's a clothing store, or sports if it's a sporting goods store.But they don't know how to run a BUSINESS itself.

There's a lot to it.

If you really want to run a business, then go get an associates degree in business from your local community college - finances, marketing, employee relations, etc.

While you're at it, think about what kind of business it will be.

Then look at classes in that area.

You may want to transfer to a four year college for a complete degree.

https://www.usa.gov/start-business

As a teen still in school with no experience, leaving school to open up a business is unrealistic. You have no knowledge, no experience and presumably no money to fund it.

By all means see having your own business as a goal, but it's a good few years down the line for you.  Start by getting a job in the field you are interested in. Get some experience and knowledge from people in that field by working that job. Then perhaps ten years down the line start thinking own business.

Its unrealistic. As in if 1000 well funded grown ups with similar aspirations tried it 999 would fail and lose thousands.

Its not impossible, but its a pipedream.  Get a job and save.  Being a business owner takes a LOT of money.  I started with about $7500 but that was 30 years ago. Clothing would take a LOT more capital. So save $30-40k anyway.

• Edwena

If you have to ask, chances are you will not do it.  You learn these things from your father.