Can an apartment deny me because of my BF felony?

Okay so long story short. I have and apartment and my bf moved in about a year after me living there . We are about to renew for another year or possibly move. I’m worried about moving because he has a felony from 7 years ago . It was a violent crime. 

Anyway he’s moved past that and I’m worried no one will rent to us. I have a clean record never been in trouble and we have a 8 month old baby.Can we be denied because of his record? 

I don’t want to dish out all of these application fees only to come back denied because of his record. 

Please advise

You would have to ask them. 

Make him pay it.....................

• Judy

If he's going to live there also, yes

You would have to ask them

Its standard requirement for ALL adults who intend to live in the apartment to be on the lease and subjected to a background check, so you can both be denied based on him having a felony.

In fact if he moved in with you mid-lease and you did not have permission from your landlord then you are in violation of your current lease. Most landlords will require a background check and that he be added to the lease, but most will deny him based on the felony  - this would leave you with the option of either moving out with him, kicking him out while you stay, or subjecting both of you to an eviction which would make it even more difficult for the two of you to get another apartment.

They have the right to deny renting to you as the boyfriend has the felony conviction. is he currently on the lease or is he just living there? If he's already on the lease they may not run another background check as funds are tight due to Covid-19.

• Rick

their buildings, their decision ..................

Absolutely....   

Yes they can.

Maybe apply on ur own.. or if u could pay in advance i think they wont reference