When the Bible tells us to "Call Upon The Name of the Lord" whose name are we calling, Jesus or Jehovah? They both are referred to as 'Lord'?

44 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

There's no "Jehovah."  It's a name made up by 13th-century Catholic clergyman Raymundus Martini after he was commissioned to translate the Koine Greek Bible to Latin.

He started with the consonants of the Tetragrammaton, YHWH, and added vowels from "adonai", Hebrew  -- "lord", ending up with "Yahowah", which was later changed to "Jehovah."  

It could just as well have been "Jahawah",  "Jeheweh", "Johovoh" or any permutation thereof.

@ No Chance -- NO.  Growing up Greek Orthodox, I never once heard or saw the word "Jehovah" anyone in church services or in the Koine Greek Bible.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • You call upon the name of Jehovah God as only he is called the Hearer of Prayer. But in keeping with his Son's words, we ask our prayers to be heard in the name of Jesus Christ as he is the only mediator between Jehovah and man.

• Saad M
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

The Prophet Jesus (prayer and salvation of God be upon him).

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Read...

John 14:13 KJV — And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Jesus

John 14:14 KJV — If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

John 15:16 KJV — Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

YHVH, Elohim, Adonai, Allah, for just a few. 

• 4 weeks ago

Whatever name suits your fancy is o.k. seeing as there is no proof or evidence of any deity at all being possible.  According to Arthur C. Clark there are 9 billion names of god. Gort, Klatuu barrata nicto can have the exact same significance as whatever name you choose  to make up.  Please demonstrate a deity actually exists and then we can talk about it.

• 4 weeks ago

It's not a literal name;  it means the WILL OF GOD.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Doesn't make any difference. They are both names for the one true God, like Yahweh and several others.

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

This is another example of the hypocrisy of the trinity doctrine and a trinitarian's effort to 'prove something not found in scripture.

The trinity doctrine specifically states, Jesus IS NOT the Father and the Father is not Jesus the Son.

Then they will turn around and quote a scripture that is directed to the Father and then in effect say, 'See Jesus is the Father'

The angel Gabriel told Mary, Jesus is the Son of the Most High, in Psalms we learn the name of the Father or the Most High is Jehovah.

The scripture in question is a quote from Joel.

(Joel 2:32) 32 And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved;. . .

Not even Genesis 4:26, which is misquoted by one who answered, says 'call upon the name of the Lord'

This verse also uses the Father's personal Jehovah.

(Genesis 4:26) 26 There was also born to Seth a son, and he named him Eʹnosh. At that time people began calling on the name of Jehovah.

From this we find the expression "the Lord" found in Acts 2:21; Romans 10:13; is not the Lord Jesus, but the Lord Jehovah, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus.

(Romans 15:5, 6) 5 Now may the God who supplies endurance and comfort grant you to have among yourselves the same mental attitude that Christ Jesus had, 6 so that unitedly you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

If someone insists the 'Lord' in Acts and Romans, is Jesus, then they are denying the trinity doctrine.

Because the Father is not the Son, and the Son is not the Father.

These verses actually prove the trinity to be the lie it is.

• 4 weeks ago

That phrase first occurs in the Old Testament (Genesis 4:26) and meant worshiping God with reverence and praying to Him. The sense was of seeking to draw close to God. So Psalm 8 reads, "O Yahweh our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens... O Yahweh our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!" Every time that Psalm was sung, the singers were calling upon the name of the Lord God, in worship and praise.

But in the New Testament, an astonishing development was explained as Jesus Christ was acclaimed by Christians as their only Lord and that it was in His name that salvation comes. Peter quoted Joel 2:28 - "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" - then applied that to the risen Christ! "Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit... Salvation is found in no-ine else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (Acts 2 & 4) Then we are told that there is to us [Christians] "there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ" (1 Cor. 8:6); "there is one Lord, one faith, one baptism" (Eph 4:5).

That is why Jesus said that no-one can come to the Father except through Him. Jesus reveals the Father to us. "For in Christ all the fulness of the Deity lives in bodily form" (Col 2:9) Awesome!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.