Orla
Lv 6
Orla asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 4 weeks ago

Does de-caf coffee upset stomachs like regular coffee or is the caffeine indeed the culprit ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Goerge
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Nope and possibly. The caffeine might not be the real cause, but instead the acid present in your coffee, mentioned by another person who answered your question, could be. Caffeine is in coffee, some teas, sodas and other caffeinated drinks and it can upset your stomach and/or give you jitters if your stomach can't handle it or if you drink too much. 

The real culprit is probably the acidity and your stomach's sensitivity to it. Should you be able to drink other caffeinated beverages without issue but coffee always irritates your stomach then I would move over to cold brew coffee. If however, all caffeinated drinks upset your stomach then a move over to decaffeinated coffee is your best bet. 

Lastly it may be that you may need to eat something before you have that cup of joe. 

• Deane
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Why not consider a made with chickory? Like Cafe du Monde or French Market? These are coffees that are common in New Orleans and in the French Quarter.  Chickory is very good for digestion and the coffee has half of the caffeine. If you're using regular dairy creamer that could also be the culprit of an upset stomach (lactose intolerance). Maybe try a almond or cashew milk creamer and see if this helps. I love the French Market coffee as it has the same bold French roast flavor but half of the caffeine, I was turned onto to this by a friend of mine.

• 4 weeks ago

It's not the caffeine, it's the coffee drink itself--the acid and the caustic properties of coffee. Decaf can be just as upsetting as regular coffee. 

• 4 weeks ago

in general, it could be the caffeine or it could be the natural acid in coffee. Everyone is different.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Robin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes unfortunately it can still upset your stomach 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes it can depending on the acid content.

Caffeine itself not the culprit.  Acid is.  That being said, caffeine can cause your stomach to produce more acid than usual.  De-caf still has caffeine.

So two factors going on...the acid in the coffee and the acid it causes your stomach to produce.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.